People all over the world are joining in SOILidarity today to celebrate World Soil Day 2018!
December 5th highlights the importance of healthy soil and the impact on sustainable agricultural production.
Use code SOIL10 for 10% OFF online at www.dandystopsoil.co.ukCheck out a few soil facts below!
- There are more living organisms in a tablespoon soil than there are people on earth!
- It takes 200 to 500 years to produce just an inch of topsoil and each year an estimated 24 billion tonnes of fertile soil are lost due to erosion.
- It greatly reduces flood risk by storing up to 9200 tonnes of water per acre. In total that’s about 0.01% of the Earth’s total water.
- Approximately 10% of the world’s carbon dioxide emissions are stored in soil.
- There are only 3 basic types of soil: silt, clay and sand.
- 95% of the worlds food comes from the soil.
- Worms enrich topsoil by feeding on organic material in the soil and converting it into nutrients for plants. As they move through the soil it becomes more absorbent and better aerated too.
- Soil is at the bottom of the food chain, yet it is the cornerstone of life on earth.